Lewiston to Provide Clean-up Assistance Week Again This Year | Community Spirit
LEWISTON: The City of Lewiston will again this spring provide Lewiston residents with "Clean-up Assistance Week." Information about the week's offerings is listed below:
From April 23, 2011, through April 30, 2011, the City's Solid Waste Facility at 424 River Road will waive tipping fees and use of the Punch Pass. In addition to the facility's regular weekday hours of operation (7 a.m. - 3 p.m., Monday thru Friday), the Solid Waste Facility will be open on two (2) Saturdays, April 23 and April 30, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Will this clean-up assistance be just for Lewiston residents? Yes. Clean-up Assistance Week is for Lewiston residents only, and proof of residence (driver's license, tax receipt, utility bill) is required. Failure to provide proof of residency may require the customer to pay for disposal of their waste material. Tip fees will not be waived for commercial accounts (this includes owners of multi-unit apartment buildings as defined in the City's Code Of Ordinance).
How should material be disposed of at the Solid Waste Facility?
All materials to be disposed of must be separated, i.e.,
• Bulky Waste: Includes old furniture, carpeting, mattresses, etc.
• Construction and Demolition Debris: Includes, but is not limited to, building materials such as plaster and lath, plumbing fixtures, insulation, asphalt, wall board, pipes, pressure treated wood, and metal conduits, etc.
• Wood (does not include pressure treated wood): Includes demolition wood (free of metal, sheet rock, insulation, and other solid waste), brush and tree waste (does not include stumps), wood furniture, etc.
• Scrap metal: Appliances, such as stoves, dryers, washing machines, etc. Does not include engines, gear boxes, lawnmowers, tanks of any kind whether full or empty which contained chemicals or fuels.
• Televisions / computer monitors
• Refrigerators / freezers that contain refrigerant.
What else will be accepted?
During Clean-up Assistance Week, the Solid Waste Facility will also accept up to four (4) tires and two (2) twenty (20) pound propane gas cylinders from each resident at no cost.
Will the Solid Waste Facility be open on Sunday that week?
No, the facility will not be open on Sunday.
Will anything be collected at curbside during that week?
The Lewiston Public Works Department will collect brush (butt ends to face the street; does not include stumps), and quantities are limited to no more than one (1) standard pick-up truckload. All brush to be collected by City staff must be curbside no later than Sunday, April 24. City staff will be collecting the curbside brush throughout the week. Once they have collected brush from a given street, they will not return to collect brush from that street.
If an individual has questions about Lewiston's Clean-Up Assistance Week, where can they call?
Individuals may contact the Solid Waste Facility at 513-3006; TTY/TDD: 513-3007.