Lewiston man pleads guilty to manslaughter | News
LEWISTON, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A Lewiston man pled guilty to manslaughter charges in Androscoggin County Superior Court Tuesday.
Bob Ryder admitted to killing Danita Brown last June. He told police that he paid her money for sex. He said he grew annoyed by her complaining about her life and family and then caught her rummaging through his wallet. He says he blacked out and hit her in the head two or three times with a wooden clock. Ryder then buried Brown's body in the basement of his main street apartment.
Jean Barry raised Ryder's brother and tried to keep the two close, she says it's difficult to see him go through this, but his cooperation shows he feels remorse.
Some of Danita Brown's children were in the courtroom for the plea hearing. She had nine children in all, one with her boyfriend at the time she was killed, Mike Tibbetts.
The maximum sentence Ryder faces for manslaughter is 30 years in prison with a $50,000 fine, and 4 years on probation.
Upcoming Events near Lewiston - Auburn
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Medications making their way into drinking water a concern for scientists.
- One person dead after police-involved shooting in Windham
- Windham school has drug discussion over dinner
- A Newton man has pleaded not guilty to playing a role in the killing of Tyler Zanco.
- The Portland Water District is now treating its water with a hi-tech UV light system.